ISO 22000:2005 / HACCP Food Safety Management System
ISO 22000 for food safety management systems is intended to provide security by ensuring that there are no weak links in the food supply chain.
ISO22000 in Brief
ISO 22000 specifies requirements for a food safety management system in the food chain where an organization:
- needs to demonstrate its ability to control food safety hazards in order to consistently provide safe end products that meet both the requirements agreed with the customer and those of applicable food safety regulations
- aims to enhance customer satisfaction through the effective control of food safety hazards, including processes for updating the system.
ISO 22000 may apply to all types of organizations within the food chain ranging from feed producers, primary producers through food manufacturers, transport and storage operators and subcontractors to retail and food service outlets together with inter-related organizations such as producers of equipment, packaging material, and cleaning agents.
The benefits for organizations implementing the standard include among others the following:
- Organized and targeted communication among trade partners
- Resource optimization (internally and along the food chain)
- Improved documentation
- Better planning, less post process verification
- More efficient and dynamic food safety hazard control
- Control measures subjected to hazard analysis
- Systematic management of prerequisite programs
- Valid basis for taking decisions
- Increased due diligence
- Resources saved by reducing overlapping system audits